Thursday, January 12, 2012

Snowpocalypse and You Might Be A Redneck If...

While everyone else is heading to the store to get milk and bread, I was getting cat litter. Why? Because I have been outflanked, out-strategeried by wife and kids.

They have been working me over about a cat or a dog. We have had two rabbits.

So Jessie comes into the office and tells how Kay Stiner is spoiling Nay and giving her anything she wants, and how Saundra Newton is not any better because The Nay was playing with a kitten and screamed when she had to leave, and Saundra just off-hand said, why don’t you take the kitten? so there’s a cat in the garage.

I was cooked, done. Like the dad in The Christmas Story. Jessie got the cat for Nadia so she could say that the boys need a dog to keep things fair. And needless to say we are already talking along those lines.

But at the end of the day, I love animals, I just am not sure the boys get the responsibility that will come with it. We have a cute black kitten.

A great scene unfolded in the Fuzzy Duck today. I got a book and Sara Peyton was ringing up the sale. One of the owners was telling me about how he got a job because he bought his boss some Coors when you could not get it, Smokey and the Bandit days, and all that. The other owner, his wife, thinks that she should tell him, “Hey wait, this is Aaron, Sara’s minister, be careful about a beer story, etc”

But she was unaware how it started. I was buying maybe my fifth copy of Wendell Berry’s What Are People For? I have given all the other ones away. It’s a huge book for me. Wendell Berry is horrified that it evangelized me. well, not horrified. But the way I came across the book as a young atheist was that a friend who lived out in the country asked me to pick up a case of beer on my way to his place. When I got there he did not have any money to pay me so he said I could have a book and I took What Are People For? and things have never been the same. So, I say “You might be a redneck if you ever traded a case of Natty Light for a Wendell Berry book.” True story.

That’s how it got started. So, instead of the preacher being embarrassed by a beer story, Sara was embarrassed by her pastor’s beer story.

My work here is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment