Thursday, January 26, 2012

Divine Appointments

The past few days there have been some divine appointments, some meetings that God provided that were just ordered for me to make contact with some folks I otherwise would not have.

And then, this morning, a really rare time, one of those that when I spent time in scripture and prayer with someone suffering, we found a "way into" the life of Jesus. That's a phrase I have been batting around for a bit, a phrase that is about something like breaking past sentimental notions of Jesus and into the real power. Sometimes it is about breaking through mechanical descriptions of doctrine.

Today, it was His words "greater love has no one than this, the he lay down his life for his friends" (John 15:13)

Growing up around airmen and soldiers, I know this is a favorite verse of those in the military. And so, it is doubly likely that I would see this as the ultimate, sacrifice, enduring the moment of death.

But today, we wondered if it does not also express a kind of continuous self-denial, a continuous suffering endured for the sake of loved ones?

Come, Lord Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment