Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Prayer Meeting

I just got back from the men's Wed morning prayer meeting and I want to get some things down that are fresh on my heart.

This is a group of older men-- they won't mind me saying that, they say it all the time!

What strikes me first is that they know each other. To know and to be known is a blessing, especially within the bounds of the Church, within Christian love.

But this morning I realized that it has been a while since I have had a group of godly older men around me. Maybe 10 years, I guess. They have 50, 60, 70 years of Christian experience. It was great to hear their testimonies-- things like learning to pray as an adult; learning that your name is an important thing to guard; to hear from a doctor that color vision is a miracle he enjoys every day with the sunrise...

And a devotion from Philippians 3:12-17...

________

Yesterday after school, we all headed to Eagle Lake, at the back end of Morehead State. The previous pastor, Bruce Nettleton told me about it, showed it to me and said what a great place it is to walk. So we all went and walked around the lake. The boys loved it, I loved it, Jessie loved it, Nadia rode on my shoulders and loved it. Very serene, reminded me of Germany, get around a bend and forget how small the lake is and I was remembering the Bodensee...
_________

We have been having some "get acquainted" meetings with the church in different parishioners homes. It has been a greta chance to meet people and hear a bit more of their stories. I know I keep saying it, but Morehead is a special place. So many people say they came here in 56 or 77 to stay two years... what can you do? The lake, the hills, the small town with a university... an awesome Methodist Church...

No comments:

Post a Comment