Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Evangelism Visits

Today I set out early, not so much to do some evangelism visits as to do some pastoral visits among some folks in the local Senior Citizens Center, a few folks who don't have much support outside of the church. As I got there, I saw one of our folks who I did not know lived there. So I walked over to the bus stop where she was and we talked a bit. I asked her if we could read some Scripture. Psalm 46 has been on my mind a lot lately. And by lately, I mean the last 6 years. So we read it. And then I asked how I could pray. She shared some concerns and then we prayed and I was not quite prepared-- instead of just standing there, she gave me a big hug while we prayed. we talked a bit afterwards, and I am not sure I have been thanked for anything quite the way I was thanked simply for stopping, reading the Word and praying. She told me of a few friends she wants to bring to church, who feel they have been forgotten. I sure hope we can do something about that. So, I went over to visit the three I had intended to visit. Two of them were out on the porch enjoying the cool morning. We sat and talked for a bit, and then I asked how was it with their souls? Problems, worries, health concerns, but peace with Christ. I asked about prayer concerns, and they are a bit afraid of some neighbors, some slim shady who is taking advantage of his grandmother, some kind of thing like that. Lots of noise, profanity, threats against people who complain. I was not quite ready for the direction Psalm 46 would take us. "God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear though the earth give way and mountains fall into the sea." Psalm 46:1-2 So far, I was getting it. Yes, we will not fear. "The Lord Almighty is with us, The God of Jacob is our fortress" Psalm 46:7 And still, I am right there, tracking along, Lord. But then this, and I was reminded how important it is to read the Word with the poor: "He makes wars to cease to the ends of the earth; He breaks the bow and shatters the spear, He burns the shields with fire." This is what grabbed me. It's not just that God is with us. One day, He will create such peace that we will have no need for a shield. It is not simply that we ourselves might have no swords, it is that there will be such peace ordained by God that there will be no swords anywhere. No need even for a shield. _________ After some visits at an apartment complex, I had to go back and get some more cards. I was really feeling that the evangelism visits were going well enough that I probably should not stop. I came back by the Senior Citizens Center to hit a few places I had not and came across a guy sitting outside under a gazebo. We chatted a bit. He just moved here from Lexington... we were almost neighbors; he was over off of Anniston Dr. He was not much interested in going to church (yet) but as I left he did say that if we had a bus, there are a lot of folks that might like to go to church but can't get there. I asked him if I get a bus ministry running, would he get the word out? He said he would. So even the non-believer is willing to help. I was blessed today for sure. Just before lunch I was able to visit a street and meet two folks who do not go to church. Hopefully the Lord will work on their hearts. I am going to write some notes to them now to remind them of the Lord's love for them, and their need for Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment